Monday 9 June 2014

Why Vatel inspired the blogs title?

Work is a bit mental at the moment week before last I was left with only 41hrs to sleep and live in. So sadly neglected the blog the last couple of weeks, the one problem with being a mercenary is you have to take it when it comes.

So just a short one back to my inspiration for mine and the blogs title.

Buried in the pages Great Chefs of France by Quentin Crewe and Anthony Blake is the story of Vatel. Now in my poking around, I'm at a loss for the book addresses him as Henri Vatel yet others Francois. I've even seen some suggestions that he didn't exist at all. Whether he did or didn't the story highlights the passion and drive of a good chef.

With words of honourable, and a legacy of more than the organisation of many a feast and building reputations of great houses, stories of organisation skills that many an executive chef would envy and go well beyond the skill set needed. Bosses that are powerful men creating events of such grandeur that the king decides that to create such events can only be done by someone corrupt and intolerable. So in creating his own dismissal and poverty, leaving him searching for another boss.

So finally making it back after a period of searching, back to a house who's fallen on bad times, whose fortunes turn and once again an opportunity for extravagant and exuberant celebrations. So things begin to unravel, little things undermining the first day. We then get doubts for the fish delivery, looking for reassurance and being greeted by a little delivery, when he needed hundreds of fish. To his room retired, took up his sword and ended his life.

Well I was partly inspired for this post by a place I've worked at with a broken kitchen. I suspect I'll write a blog about the dynamics of a professional kitchen for sadly it isn't just about cooking.

So Passionate Chefs Die I tend to find my passion ebbs and flows but when ever its low I find a few pages into this book with plenty of stories, facts and anecdotes of inspirational chefs, inspires and reignites my love for my profession.

So long live Vatel be it just a story or a man of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment