Monday 12 May 2014

Review:-Sanskruti

www.sanskrutirestaurant.co.uk

Having eaten and found a fair few Indians I'm getting at quite good at distinguishing the generic vs authentic. Now for some reason at the moment Mughli is the in place honestly unless it's changed(2-3 years ago I thought it was best) it's nice but I'd still go to Punjab Tandoori over it. I suspect many are sheep following the trend rather than actually reviewing on merit. Personally food wise I'd say there is little to split Akbar and Mughli. Now Punjab Tandoori certainly doesn't look like a place you'd want to visit if food isn't your first concern move on head towards Mughli. Any way that's Rusholme and trendy vs authentic and tasty.

Sanskruti Restaurant beats them all hands down. I'm even throwing Bradfords Prashad into the mix here. For sure they all have some strengths and weaknesses.

Now onto the review poppadums stumbled across a lovely date and tamarind chutney for which I just had to ask about, others pretty standard with the exception of the green one. Now normaly this is coriander and mint firstly I didn't detect mint but a little kick of chilli. So let's start with the weakness the Dudhi na Muthiya now this had a lovely flavour but being a bitter gourd dumpling was very dense and doughy. Having nothing to judge it against not sure if that's how it's supposed to be! Pattra, I love Pattra don't know why we don't see this more often on menus having only eaten this a couple of times it certainly was the best one I've had. The other one was a safe one Aloo Tikki nice now having eaten a variety of potato fritters I've had more interesting ones but they where fine.

Onto mains and sides now a little weakness again I struggle not having anything to compare to but the Methi Thepla I just felt was a little doughy. I suspect it should of had the texture of a good chappati. As for the Jeera rice this stood up through the meal the cumin offering a lovely little note every now and again. The main course dishes all where great everyone of us having a favourite for me the saffron, cashew and paneer was fantastic. The aubergine, potato and tomato stepping up in the heat scale yet still relatively mild reaching a crescendo with the supposedly safe one. The vegetable harabhara a mixture of vegetables bound in a green gravy putting the heat on the table. As for the garlic Naan this was probably the best one I've had a little bit of crispy surrounded by a fluffy pillow of naan.

Onto dessert boy did I go off piste. The gajjar halwa was a warm dish of slightly sweetened carrot scented with cardamom topped with nuts. Honestly I've not been quite surprised by a dish for a while but that did(glad I shared it though). Sharing with gulab jambu these where lovely and delicate and hands down beat Prashads. The mango passion was the safe one more or less mango lassi with fruit.

With the bill came some Indian mouth cleansers wow a diverse mix. The slightly twisted side of me loved the flowery ones, even though it felt like I'd eaten pot pourri.

Would I go again:- Absolutely yes
For sure I've had some better elements else where i.e. A form of potato fritter at Prashad. I've probably had one that's felt a little more homemade(I'll eventually review that one). Honestly though I hate reviewing this one for you make this one popular. So just ignore this carry on visiting Mughli so I can just walk in and keep it as a hidden gem. I suppose I may have to revisit Mughli soon but honestly I'm not expecting that much of a change.

Starter:-

Poppadums
Aloo Tikki
Pattra
Dudhi na Muthiya

Mains:-
Vegetable Harabhara
Ringan Bateta
Zaffrani Paneer Korma

Sides:-

Jeera Rice
Methi Thepla
Garlic Naan

Desserts:-

Mango Passion
Gajjar Halwa
Gulab Jambu

No comments:

Post a Comment